Sinuses are hollow chambers situated behind and around the nose. When these cavities get congested, they cause inflammation. This situation is known as a sinus infection. Sinus infection comes with lots of painful symptoms. So if you want to know how to treat a sinus infection, tag along.
How to Treat a Sinus Infection
Sinus infection or sinusitis can occur by various factors. In some cases, the cold-causing virus is responsible, while bacteria cause others. Some air-borne allergens or pollutants can make you to have an infection too. Depending on the causes and how long do sinus infections last, the infections are mainly of two types-
- Acute sinus infection: If any virus causes the infection, it usually goes away in 10-14 days. This type is known as Acute sinusitis. But in some cases, bacteria gets developed into congested sinuses. Then it can last five weeks, making it subacute sinusitis.
- Chronic sinus infection: In some cases, it’s hard to know how to treat a Sinus Infection as a virus or bacteria are not involved in that sinus infection. Any fungus can be involved in those cases. Any structural problem can also develop a sinus infection. These infections last even more than 3 months. They are known as chronic sinusitis.
How to Treat a Sinus Infection at Home (Sinusitis)?
No matter if it’s an acute infection or a chronic infection, or even a recurrent one (sinus infection that keeps coming back even after treatment, the signs of a sinus infection are bothersome. It won’t let you sleep well, eat well or work well.
So, how to treat a sinus infection? In this situation, lots of people turn to medication. But that’s always not necessary or even beneficial. Even the best antibiotic for sinus infection can be useless in some cases as antibiotics won’t help you against viruses or allergens.
There are lots of ways to treat the infection naturally. It will not harm you in any way. Besides, these are less expensive, and some are even free of cost. To know them check out the list below-
Onion is one of the most popular remedies to get rid of a sinus infection. It contains organosulfur compounds that can release mucus from the sinus. It also has a flavonoid like quercetin that acts as an antihistamine.
Besides, it can fight against lots of bacteria. You can inhale the aroma of the onion directly. But sulfur can burn the eyes. To avoid it and to know the treatment of a sinus infection with just an onion, follow the steps-
- Take a fresh onion and peel it. Then chop it into small pieces.
- Then boil water in a pan. Add the onion pieces to the water.
- Let the mixture come to a warm state.
- Then cover your eyes and inhale the vapor. It will loosen up the mucus.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the simplest answers to how to treat a sinus infection in the best way. It’s not only simple but also super effective. If you consume it, you’ll notice quickly that the mucus is changing its color and texture. If the mucus turns colorless and thin from green or yellow and thick, then the sinusitis is getting healed.
That’s why the experts suggest consuming apple cider vinegar as soon as possible after experiencing the signs of a sinus infection. As it has minerals like magnesium and vitamins A, B, and E, it will help you get rid of mucus.
But do not consume this excess, as it can cause loss of potassium in the body. People with gastric problems are also advised to use it cautiously. To know how to treat a sinus infection with apple cider vinegar, follow the steps-
- Add two tablespoons of vinegar to 8 OZ water. You can also add a spoon of honey to it for better results.
- Consume the mixture thrice a day. In this way, the sinus infection will start to get well in just three days.
Black cumin has been used to treat sinus infections since ancient times. It has an oil named nigellone that can dissolve mucus. Besides, it has other beneficial oils like beta-sitosterol, palmitic acid, and stearic acid to help you get relief from the pain.
It is so powerful that it can treat heart-attack, colon cancer, breast cancer, etc. Due to its cell regenerating ability, you’ll find it in every sinus infection treatment list on the internet.
Inhaling the aroma directly is useful too. But to avoid the intensity and to get the best result, you can consume them by the following steps-
- Step 1: Roast a spoonful of black cumin seeds.
- Step 2: Grind the seeds to make power with a mortar pestle.
- Step 3: Add a teaspoon of honey and make a mixture.
- Step 4: Take the paste twice a day.
Want to know more about how to treat a sinus infection naturally and Cheaply? Garlic might be the answer for you. It is traditionally used to cure colds, high blood pressure, and body pain, and even boost immunity.
But it has a component called allicin. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. And those are the most important aspects to treat a sinus infection.
If you are breastfeeding your baby or are on any blood thinner, you are advised to take it. But otherwise, you can use it, and you don’t need any antibiotics for sinus infection.
- Step 1: Take five cloves of garlic and remove the skin
- Step 2: Make a paste by crushing them completely
- Step 3: take the paste on a spoon and inhale the aroma directly.
- Step 4: if you find the aroma too intense, you can add a spoonful of water and make a lighter paste.
- Step 5: you can also consume the paste. It will work nicely then also.
Ginger is best known for its ability to get rid of acidity. But whenever you are looking for a solution how to treat a sinus infection, the first thing to come to mind is ginger. Why is that so? Because it is used in almost every home to treat the cold.
It’s not only because of its antiviral properties. But it also has some oils like gingerol, shogaol, and phenol. These are helpful to release mucus. They also help you to relieve the pain caused by a sinus infection.
Ginger is so versatile that you can take it in many ways, which makes it one of the best substitutes for the best sinus infection medicine. You can make tea, make juice, and consume it directly, just as you want. But to be 100% sure you can make tea as the following-
- Step 1: boil 2 cups of water in a pan.
- Step 2: take 1-2 inches of ginger and remove the skin for a better aroma. Add the piece to the water. You can also grate the ginger.
- Step 3: add 1-2 teaspoons of honey to the water. You can also use sugar, but honey is also an excellent agent to treat sinus infections.
- Step 4: you can add tea to it or just completely skip it.
- Step 5: let the tea get warm. Then intake it slowly. You can also inhale it while drinking, and this can also help to loosen the mucus.
Mustard seed has natural anti-inflammatory properties making it suitable for sinus infection. It will reduce the symptoms significantly. One of the main components, called isothiocyanate, is responsible for the hotness of mustard oil.
It also helps to release mucus from the cavities. That’s why it is the best-known remedy for sinus congestion. Other sterols like oleic acid, palmitic acid, sitosterol, and stigmasterol also help open the blocked nose. To know more about how to treat a sinus infection like a pro, follow these steps-
- Step 1: Take a glass of water into a pan. Bring it to a boil.
- Step 2: Then add a teaspoon of mustard seed to the water. Let the water boil for a few minutes more.
- Step 3: After the mixture is reduced to half, strain the water and separate the seeds.
- Step 4: Let the water become warm.
- Step 5: Take a clean cloth and dip it into the water.
- Step 6: Squeeze the extra water from the cloth. Then put it on the face to cover the nostrils.
- Step 7: Inhale deeply so that the aroma enters the nostrils.
Chaste tree leaves
The Chinese chaste tree leaves are well known for their analgesic properties. It’s also an excellent insect repellent. But for the people asking how to treat sinusitis, experts suggest the leaves for their anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
It has phenol, alkaloid-vitrine, and camphene that help to fight fungus too. This herb is also used to treat roundworms, ringworms, anxiety problems, headaches a lot more. It is one of the best sinus infection treatments.
- Take some clean leaves. You should clean the leaves thoroughly so that there are no bugs or dirt on them.
- Take a pan of water. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the leaves to the boiling water. Keep the water boiling for a few minutes more.
- Cover the pan and your head with a towel. Then inhale the vapor. This vapor will not only loosen up the mucus but will also heal the sinuses and reduce inflammation.
If you want to know how to treat a sinus infection at home, this will probably be the easiest and cheapest way to do that. But not only that, but it is also one of the most effective sinus infection remedies.
It just needs a neti pot and saltwater. Saltwater is very effective in breaking mucus. It rehydrates the sinuses. That helps to loosen up the mucus in the best way. You can use the remedy three times a day.
Just try it if you have painful symptoms. Apply it formally, and the infection will go away like magic. If you can’t arrange a net pot, you can use a syringe without a needle. You can use a dropper too. To know how to treat sinusitis with just salt water, follow the steps below-
- Take a cup of water to mix 2 spoons of salt in it.
- Take the neti pot, syringe, dropper, or whatever you have. Clean it properly.
- Pour the water into the pot and get to the basin.
- Give a stroke of the saltwater into one nostril. The water will then come out of the nose on its own.
- Do the same in the other nostril. Repeat it several times until the cup is empty.
These are the best sinus infection remedies to treat sinusitis naturally at home. But if you are among the people who want to know how to treat a sinus infection with the help of some medicines, you can opt for OTC medication.
There are lots of antibiotics for sinus infections that pharmacists can suggest to you. But try not to use sinus infection antibiotics from the beginning. The factor and the types of sinus infections are significant aspects to look into before taking medications.
Another important thing is how long does a sinus infection last? Depending on that, the remedies and the medications may vary. Even doctors depend on these factors too.